Happy Monday everyone! Another week, another recipe. This is my go-to for thin (sometimes even paper-thin) crêpes to be filled with all sorts of plant-based goodies. I want to underline plant-based because I’ve had a tester try them with cheese and/or ham and it was a flat no. I wasn’t surprised, since the main ingredient is chickpea flour! So anything from hummus (because chickpeas are just the best), beans, mashed avocado, all sorts of veggies, raw, roasted, sautéed, mushrooms, potatoes, sprouts…the options are endless really.
I went for a colorful array of veggies and a bright citrusy sweet sauce made with soaked cashews and lots of orange!
Not much else to say about this recipe for crêpes other than it’s super versatile and quick. Plus they can be frozen (extra convenient when you make way too many and don’t know what to do with yourself afterwards).
Happy start of the week and may you eat lots of crêpes!
CHICKPEA FLOUR CREPES WITH VEGETABLES AND AN ORANGE-GARLIC SAUCE // vegan
by Marta’s Plants
Serves 4-6, yields 12 crêpes
prep time: 15 mins, cook time: 1hr, total time: 1 hr 15 mins + 1 hr soaking
2 cups water
2 cups chickpea flour
1 garlic clove
½ tsp curry powder (optional)
1 tbsp evo oil
pinch turmeric (optional)
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until you get a silky batter.
- Cover with plastic wrap and transfer to fridge while you prepare the other ingredients.
¼ head of purple cabbage
700gr mushrooms, any kind, fresh or frozen
2 garlic cloves
- Preheat oven to 180°C/375°F.
- To roast the carrots and zucchini, cut them in wedges or any other shape, transfer to a baking tray lined with parchment paper, toss them with 2 tbsp olive oil, a pinch of salt and some fresh rosemary. Bake for about 30 mins or until soft and lightly browned.
- Shred or grate cabbage with a potato peeler. In a small pan heat up a tbsp of olive oil and, when hot, add the cabbage and a pinch of salt and cook for a few minutes until soft. At the end add fresh coriander and a squeeze of lemon juice if desired. The lemon will make the cabbage turn pink!
- Heat up a tbsp of olive oil in a medium-large pan, crush the 2 garlic cloves and add to the pan. Add the mushrooms and cook, covered for the first minutes, then uncovered, until soft. Add salt and fresh parsley only at the end and mix to incorporate. Remember to remove the garlic before serving!
½ cup cashews, soaked for at least 1 hr in warm water
juice of 1 lemon
juice of ¾ of an orange
1 garlic clove
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp orange zest
- Drain and rinse cashews.
- Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until you get a smooth texture.
- When all other ingredients are ready, cook the crêpes by pouring ¼ of a cup of batter on a very hot, flat, non-stick pan and quickly moving the pan around so as to coat it in a very thin layer. As soon as you see bubbles forming, flip the crêpe and cook for another minute or so.
- Cooked crêpes can be frozen and re-heated.