Happy Monday and happy start of the week everyone! I’m currently in Rome for a few days on a sort of work trip after spending a week near Venice for an artist residency (when I’m not cooking/eating/blogging I am a documentary photographer, in case you didn’t know! This is my personal IG, if anyone is interested)
Today I want to share with you my go-to recipe for fluffy pancakes. So make them straight away or bookmark it for future sweet cravings! (you never know when those hit. Or if you’re anything like me, that would be on a daily basis, sigh)
These are the kind of pancakes that will never disappoint you. They will be your faithful buddies in times of need – or any time for that matter. I’ve never been let down every time I’ve made them, not just with currants but any other fruit too. You can make the batter in advance, maybe the night before a working day, because it doesn’t need to be Sunday to have pancakes for breakfast!
The recipe is super quick and simple. Win-win!
FLUFFY CHOCOLATE AND RED CURRANT OAT PANCAKES // vegan
by Marta’s Plants
3 tbsp water
1 tbsp ground chia/flax seeds
½ cup oat flour (can be made by grinding/pulsing rolled oats)
½ cup buckwheat flour (or other flour of choice)
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp cinnamon
½ tsp cardamom, ground
¾ cup water or plant-based milk
2 tbsp coconut oil, melted
2 tbsp maple syrup (or other liquid sweetener)
1 cup red currants
50 gr dark chocolate, grated or finely chopped
- Make the chia/flax egg by combining ground seeds and water in a small bowl, mixing and letting it sit for 10-15 minutes until a thick gel forms.
- In the meantime, in a large bowl mix the dry ingredients: flours, baking powder, spices and salt.
- In another bowl whisk the chia/flax egg, water/milk, melted coconut oil and maple syrup. Gently fold in about half the chopped chocolate and half the currants.
- Pour wet mixture into dry mixture and stir until batter is smooth.
- Heat a flat non-stick skillet on medium heat, lightly coat with coconut oil and, when really hot, pour about ¼ cup of batter. Cook until bubbles start to appear on top, about 2 minutes, then flip and cook another couple of minutes until golden.
- Serve warm with more maple syrup, grated chocolate and fresh red currants!